So, for a variety of reasons, we’ve decided to begin homeschooling next year. One of the contributing factors is that we have seen some amazing kids who are homeschoolers…I mean truly wonderful kids.
I homeschooled Zachary for one year, back in his 2nd grade. We did okay, but I know we could do much better. I think the main thing that I want to do differently is to be more intentional and a bit more structured. I know that I can be lazy, and I need the structure to keep me honest.
We also are going to use an enrichment center this year. I’ll have Zachary in 6th grade, Nate in 4th and Sammy in 1st. If we get the classes we are hoping for, each of the kids will be taking art, Sammy will take music and there will be a couple other classes. I’m excited for those additions.
I’m also planning on Fridays to reserve a room at the local library (great little library!) where we can do testing and the boys can get library books and Zach can work on learning to do research. We’ll have a friend watch Maddie on that day.
I’m also thinking that during the dreary days of winter when we’re wiggly and not having recess…we’ll head to Monkey Joe’s (bouncy place) or somewhere else where they can run like mad for an hour or two.
Those are my initial ideas. Now. I need help. We’re still thinking on curriculums and structure.
Those of you who have some experience under your belt with homeschooling, answer a few things for me….
1. What is the biggest danger / shortcoming / failure you’ve faced in homeschooling. What tripped you up?
2. What is something that worked really well / surprised you / you would never leave out of your homeschool routine?
3. What about curriculum? Especially those of you with older kids…do you like video curriculum, do you use the same across subjects…tell me what you like.
4. What’s the biggest wonder and joy you’ve found in homeschooling..
5. Tell me one structural or practical thing that you didn’t know going in, but that really helped.
OH! And…I sent a note to a few of the kids of friends who have been homeschooled….would really love to hear your take on the questions.