Zachary. The Teen. Oh My.

grandpazach

zach46

Thirteen years ago life had changed forever. I went to bed the night before, wondering when this little one would make their appearance. I awoke at 3am and knew the time had come. I remember those first few hours wondering if this was really it…waiting to wake Steve, then waiting to call our doctor. Picking up my parents from the hotel on our way up Oak Street in Vancouver to the Women’s Hospital; Mom greeting me with a cup of ice chips for the short drive.

zach2

Steve’s folks were flying across the country as we were in labor. We were all in anticipation of this first-born of ours. Everything changes with this first child. Everything is new.

zach3

zach47

Zachary was mature from the start. He came out aware and calm; even the nurses took notice of the calm nature he had.  We never could have known how much delight parenthood would bring, and Zach, you have been the forerunner of our little clan.

zach5Every birthday is special, but there is something unique about entering these teen years. Years ago, the church we attended in Vancouver had a very wise pastor. He taught a summer series one year answering questions from the congregation, and one was about parenting. We were brand new parents, but what he said has always stuck with me: he said to never say we were dreading the teen years. He talked about how it always bothered him to hear parents tell of how much they worried about, or dreaded the coming teen years, and how instead he told his children how much he looked forward to their teenage years.  Steve and I both resonated deeply with that sentiment, and now we find ourselves with our teenage boy…we can confidently say we look forward to your teenage years.

zach27

zach15zach53

zach9

Through the years you have surprised us and delighted us. You are smart, funny and compassionate. You amaze us with your memory and your ability to tackle new subjects and information with such ease. Ever since you were a toddler, you have been easy to talk to you and had a conversational style that was more like talking with an adult.

zach10

zach23

You are a great big brother, even if there are moments when your siblings drive you crazy…or you drive them crazy. You care for them and it is evident…and they look up to you.

zach6

zach45

zach41

zach14

GrantMaddie

Competitive and enthusiastic in your hockey; it has been so much fun to watch you develop over the last four years

zach36

zach38

zach48

zach33zach40

We cannot wait to see what the future holds for you, especially to see the unique giftings that God has given you. These are the years when delight is heightened, and when heartbreak happens. Everything is bigger and brighter and deeper. Remind us how amazing it all is…sometimes we forget.

zach65

We know that you will do well, whatever you decide to pursue. You have matured before our eyes in the last few months, and we are so proud of the man you are becoming.

Happy Birthday, Zachary! Welcome to Teenage-hood!!

zach61

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Zachary. The Teen. Oh My.

1. The Murphys says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ZACH!! We are so glad that we know you and your family! We’ve only been watching you for the last couple of years, but what we have seen in those years is an amazing young man growing up – friendly, intelligent, obedient, caring, and lots of fun! You are a wonderful big brother and a joy to your family. We look forward to seeing what God has in store for you in the years to come. Much love, the Murphys

2. Andy Wills says:

Happy Birthday Zach!

3. Leah Pendley says:

Happy birthday Zach!! Wow, you’re a teenager?! I can’t believe it. It’s rocked being your babysitter, and I know my sister would say the same. You’re a great kid (teen now I guess?) and I know your parents are very proud of you. Keep your eyes on God and you’ll go places, dude! Have a great birthday!
    Leah

4. Anonymous says:

Hey Zach, Bill Murphy here. I’ve told you my theory: You’ve already really been a teenager for a whole year! You just completed your 13th year, and now you’re starting your 14th. Not trying to age you, just sayin’ . . . Tell your mom as far as this old man is concerned, this has been the best thing she’s posted in the 2+ years we’ve known your family. What a wonderful essay and tribute to you she has written! I saw your great heart and character in that hockey game this past season when you gave up a sure goal to let a teammate score (I won’t dwell too long on the fact that she was a very lovely teammate!) The way you love and care for your brothers and sister, the way you met me at the door running late last week and literally took my load from my arms, your intelligence and sense of humor — all of these things and so much more attest to the great guy you are! I rejoice with your parents because I see — every one who really knows you sees — that God is already making you a man after His own heart! Much, much love on your birthday! Bill Murphy

5. Anonymous says:

Happy Birthday Zach! Hope your day was awesome! We love you guys!

-Kevin and Becky

6. Amanda Cocanougher says:

A big happy birthday to you Zach!!!! I hope it is just as awesome as you are!!!!

7. Josiah Holland says:

Happy birthday my little friend. I’m proud of who you are and excited for your future. Take your gifts and all that God has given you and bless others with them. You always have my support and my prayers.

8. Andy Mossman says:

Hey Zach I know this is super late but I was thinking of you on your B day but didn’t realize I could post a comment for you on this blog until today. I didn’t think it would be too cool to wish a teenager Happy Birthday on his mom’s Facebook. Anyhow, I hope you had a great day and really wish you all the best. God has blessed your family with you!